Have you tried foam rolling? I used to pass by the foam rollers in the store and head straight for the heavy lifting and fun equipment I could implement into my workouts … but once I started foam rolling my muscles, I couldn’t believe the difference I felt before, during, and after my workouts. If it’s something you have yet to try, I wouldn’t wait any longer.
There have been many studies done on foam rolling and many athletes have seen remarkable improvements in their flexibility when incorporating foam rolling as part of their workouts. Because the human body has between 600 – 800 muscles, each one of them needs special attention, stretching, and strengthening to function at its best. Here are a few other reasons why foam rolling is so beneficial:
- It decreases your recovery time. Foam rolling speeds up the recovery process in your muscles by pushing all the toxins out and increasing the blood flow to the injured muscle. This is why foam rolling helps you to not feel super sore the next day, even if you worked out hard!
- It reduces the appearance of cellulite. What woman doesn’t want this? The improved blood flow to your muscles and tissues through foam rolling helps to release all the toxins being stored in your muscles AND fat cells, which in turn reduces the appearance of cellulite.
- It enhances stamina during your workouts. If used as a warm-up before a workout, the increased blood flow to your muscle groups will bring with it an increased amount of oxygen, fueling you and giving you more boosts during your workout.
- It helps roll out any “knots” in your muscles by increasing pressure across the surface and literally acts as a rolling pin to roll out any tension your muscles are holding.
- It increases range of motion and improves flexibility. By lengthening out your muscles and stretching them throughout the rolling phase, you decrease your amount of injury during your workout and increase their range of motion!
I purchased most of my foam rollers on amazon, but you can also purchase them at most sporting good stores and even places like Walmart and Target are starting to carry them. If you are not sure how to use one, I recommend these short videos that are great at demonstrating the best ways to roll out certain muscle groups:
Make sure to always drink plenty of water after foam rolling to assist your body in flushing out the toxins that are released from the muscles.